“Jesus answered: Amen, amen I say to you, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.” (John 3:5)
By these words our Savior declares the necessity of Baptism; and by the word “water” it is evident that the application of it is necessary with the words found in St. Matthew’s Gospel:
Go and baptize all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit” (Matthew 28:19)
Through the grace of Baptism, we become God the Father’s adopted sons and daughters in Christ. We are thrilled to assist you and/or your children in receiving this amazing and necessary Sacrament.
Baptisms at St Lawrence Church are scheduled for the first and third Sunday of the month at 1:45 p.m. or by appointment. Baptisms in the Extraordinary Form (Latin) may be requested by contacting the parish office.
Parents are requested to make arrangements with the parish office at least one month in advance of the Baptism by contacting the parish office. The parents must be registered members of the parish. The Baptism Letter and Registration Form are at the top right of this page. Please read the letter carefully and fill out the registration form and return it to the parish office. Please note that the date of Baptism will be confirmed once all requirements are met.
First-time parents must attend a one session pre-Baptismal class, usually held on the second Saturday of the month at 10 AM in the parish office. Parents are encouraged to attend this class before the birth of their child. Please contact the parish office to sign-up for this class.
- A sponsor (Godparent) must have completed his or her 16th year.
- A sponsor must be a Catholic who has received the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Communion. This person must also be practicing the Catholic faith faithfully.
- If married, a sponsor must be married in the Catholic Church. If single, a sponsor must not be cohabiting.
- Sponsors must obtain a Sponsor’s Affidavit/Certificate from his or her parish indicating that he or she meets the above requirements. The original signed document, with the parish seal affixed, must be received in the parish office at least two weeks before the desired date of the Baptism.
Sponsor Affidavit for St. Lawrence Parishioners
- St. Lawrence parishioners who have been asked to be a Godparent should fill out a Sponsor Affidavit and return the original signed copy to the Rectory Office for the pastor’s approval.
- Only one sponsor is required. If you would like to have two sponsors, one must be male and the other must be female (i.e. there cannot be two males or two females).
- Parents of the child being Baptized cannot be their child’s Godparents.
- A Baptized, non-Catholic Christian may not be a sponsor. That person may participate as a Christian witness but does not replace the sponsor. A Catholic who is not practicing his or her faith cannot be a sponsor or godparent.
- The sponsor does not have to be present at the Baptism. A proxy may stand in his or her place. However, the same requirements for a sponsor apply to a proxy.
- If you have questions about the suitability of anyone to serve as a sponsor, please contact the parish office.