Anointing of the Sick
“Are there any who are sick among you? Let them send for the priests of the Church, and let the priests pray over them, anointing them with oil in the name of the Lord and the prayer of faith will save the sick persons, and the Lord will raise them up.” (James 5:14-15)
- The Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick is based upon Jesus’ special concern for the sick and His instructions to the Apostles to carry on His healing presence.
- The primary focus of this Sacrament is a healing of spirit and ability to deal with the particular illness in a positive fashion, giving strength to a person to grow in holiness. It is this strengthening of spirit that is most important. When Christ cured the sick, He emphasized this aspect most of all.
- The sick person is consecrated to be more like Christ, who bore our infirmities and healed our wounds.
- If you or someone you know is gravely ill, about to undergo a serious operation, or is in danger of death, the Sacrament of Anointing is a powerful and grace-filled way for Jesus to come to your assistance. You are encouraged to contact the parish rectory to inquire if this Sacrament should be received.
- If you or someone you know is home bound, please contact us to arrange for a priest to visit the person to determine what further Sacramental care would be appropriate.